Saturday, January 8, 2011

Fire in the Hull

This time it was not a drill.   There was fire, and smoke, and alarms, and sirens.  And a fire extinguisher.


It started out just like any other Saturday night. Kids making plans. A party starting in the family room. Me, trying to stay out of the way. Matt on his way to India. Elfie, barking every time the doorbell rang.


I had a triple batch of caramel corn in the oven set at 200 degrees as I hid upstairs watching Bones, Season 4 episodes. I came downstairs to give it a check just as the fire alarms went off. I opened the oven door, and there it was . . . three batches of carmel corn burned to a black crisp.  I had a cow (not literally, but you know what I mean.)  Why in the world does this keep happening to me!!!!!  Really, I am a pretty good cook.  I just can't figure it out.

As I muttered to myself, Claire said "We can't get the television to work so I'm moving the party upstairs."  The crowd abandoned me as I began pulling trays out of the oven and marching them outside to the big black trash can.


When I came back inside, smoke was billowing out of the oven. It was on fire!


Of course, when you really have a fire in the kitchen, the trusty fire extinguisher that you purchased 10 years ago no longer works.  I went into Home Economics 101 mode and threw baking soda on the flames.  It did nothing. So I ran next door to see if my neighbors were a little more diligent than me. They were on a date, and their kids wouldn't answer the door.  I'm guessing they don't have a working fire extinguisher either.


So . . . I ran across the street and rang the doorbell of Nick and Marie -- the neighbors I turn to in times of crisis. Just as Nick answered the door, I heard firetrucks making their way through the neighborhood. I immediately thought to myself "Man, I hope the kids didn't call 911."


Nick ran out the door with his extinguisher, across the street, and straight into my kitchen.  He put out the fire, just like a professional, while the party continued on upstairs without missing one beat. My kids didn't even notice the smoke. Can you believe it!   

And in case you are wondering, the fire trucks were on their way to another house a few blocks away. I bet they had a 10 year old fire extinguisher that didn't work either.

I'm buying Nick cookies to say thank you.  It looks like I'll be without an oven for awhile.

6 comments:

Puttin' Down Roots said...

HOLY COW!!!!! I don't even know what to say! I'm glad it wasn't worse. Not that it's good. Never a dull moment at your house!

Eunice said...

I was going to say "never a dull moment - in your kitchen".

Nanette said...

Oh no! Although it ended well, I am sad you will be without and oven! What a fiasco!

Jenni said...

you and your oven have not been friends lately huh?

meg duerksen said...

that is awful.
i don't know what i would do?!! i bet i wouldn't even think to go next door!
you are good.
maybe your oven is broken...or was...it surely is now.

Debbie said...

Oh good grief! What can I say...Thank you Megan from Whatever for intdoducing you to me on her blog today?

I look forward to following your blog and wish you the very best this New Year.

Blessings - Debbie